This week's post features two southwestern Alberta businesses that grew from small concerns supplying local needs to larger industries providing products across the continent. Lethbridge Iron Works grew from a small shop supplying the Lethbridge coal industry into a large industrial facility providing iron castings to customers accross North America. The Johnson Brothers began with a single sawmill and grew their business into a large milling facility based in Cowley, until market pressures from the softwood lumber embargo imposed by the United States forced its closure.
Lethbridge Iron Works
Galt Archives 19752209047
David Creighton started Lethbridge Iron Works in 1898 providing services to the growing coal industry located close to the coal mining operations in the coulees. George Davies took over management in 1921, a role that has been passed down through three generations of the Davies family. While its first products were for the coal industry, the company later developed its own Chinook line of farm implements as well as water control gates for the area’s expanding irrigation systems. In 1975, the company relocated to a new facility on a 7 acre lot in the industrial park, and has expanded 6 times since. Lethbridge Iron Works continues to be an industry leader as a jobbing iron foundry supplying iron castings to wide range of customers throughout the continent.
|Johnson Brothers facility, Cowley. Galt Archives 199910805827.|